Chicken falling over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenscott, Jan 30, 2012.

1. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! I posted this a few months back. I have a hen that was a bit off, kind of wobbly but now she is falling to the right side like she is drunk and sometimes can't or won't get up. She has been very healthy and is like a normal chicken. She is laying, eating, drinking etc. But she has been getting a bit worse. When the trouble was first notice her right side ear lobe was a bit swollen and no it never got to bad or seemed painful. Now she really cannot walk for some short periods and then later she is a bit better and can manage. But she is like complete drunk and just flops over always to the right side.

I put both hens on medicated feed for about 30 days and put vitamins in their water. I still put in vitiamins but she never got better or worse. Just a bit tipy but now it seems she is getting worse. I am fairly sure she got some sort of infection in her ear that did some damage? She never had any other signs of anything I read about. It has been about 10 months like this but lately she is getting worse. Anyone have any suggestions? Cures etc....any info would be great. She is almost 2 and is a Plymouth Rock Hen.

Please let me know. I do not want to put her down but do not want her to suffer or just waste away. Thank you.

2. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    One last thing...I noticed tonigh that her ear lobe is swollen and maybe has fluid/guck in it. Should I perhaps lance it and open it up? I don't want to harm her but she is not going to last long like this. She will fall and do herself an injury. Thoughts please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by