Chicken favoring wing, also not gaining weight

Chickengirl209

Songster
May 30, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
So, I have a 19wk old pullet that is having trouble.
Yesterday I noticed that she was holding out her wings a lot, and not to threaten other chickens. She did it pretty much all day. I'm worried something may be wrong with her wing/wings. She does seem to be favoring one in particular. Sometimes they are fanned out, like she would in flight, but holding the wings low, not high up. Other wise they wouldn't be fanned out, but wouldn't be being held against her body either. She can close them though. 1/3 of the time they were closed.
She also is not as heavy as the others. She has a twisted beak, so she has to depend on her tongue more than the others. I also think she is close to the bottom of the pecking order, so she moves away from the food when the other birds come in. There is a pretty steady flow at the feeder and she takes a while to eat because of her beak. Any suggestions on how to help her?

Where are you located in the world and what are your daytime temps?

Can you please get some photos of her and her poop?

Is she panting while holding out her wings?

If she's got a cross beak and she's not gaining, then she may not be getting enough to eat. Sometimes birds can fail to thrive when they have a deformity. Try offering her some wet feed in a deep dish so she can scoop the food. If she's being kept from food, then separate her out for short periods of time with food/water so she can fill up.

Back
Top Bottom