Chicken Feather Pluckers

MandyW82

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Was wondering if anyone uses a feather plucker to clean your birds. I am looking for something inexpensive but works good. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi,

I noticed no one had replied to your post. I have built a feather plucker. Infact I have built serveral dozen and have used and sold the tub type plucker with great results. I built and used the whizbang tub style plucker. If you google the unit you will find many videos on the production and usage of this unit. I have also noted the price to build one acording to the plans outlined in the manual is close to the Featherman units which are available online as well. I personally prefered the Whizbang plucker. Versatile with many bird from larger ducks to smaller turkeys. Best of all the design can be modified to your needs. Once built and used you can rent it out or share the overall cost with others who raise their own meat birds.

Hope this helps.

Daniel.

@¿@
\-----/

We bought one & it's AWESOME! Of course it's in the garage so I can't get the model or anythign but it was somewhere between $900 & 1000- we learned the hard way to use it... it was ripping the skin off. We were processing birds one night (our first time) & so frustrated, not knowing why the skin was coming off. We called the manufacturer & he actually was there at 8 PM & walked us through the process. We were just dipping them in the hot water too long.

Anyway, it's very quick, only takes about 8-10 seconds & the bird is done. the longest part is cleaning it after since the feathers get into lots of spots. But if you're doing a lot of birds, say over 25, it would be totally worth it. Just use a hose to clean it out after & it takes about 15 minutes, depending upon how fussy you are cleaning stuff. We're pretty particular so it takes us longer.
Anyway, the machine looks like a washing machine drum with rubber fingers in it. You'll need 2 people, since there's no on-off switch on ours, we need someone to look in & see how they're processing & give the other person the nod to unplug/turn off the machine.
let me knwo if you want me to look up the model for you tomorrow.

I have had the Featherman for 5 years now.
I use it on everything from quail to Turkey.
I processed 220 turkeys this last fall and several were over 40 pounds.
The Featherman never slowed down.
The only part that I have replaced were some of the fingers,as they have lost some grip from drying out.
I will say they are a bit pricey, however I have never had a break down.
I would be lost without ours.

just my .02

Back
Top Bottom