1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken feather plucking.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backyard barns, Jan 23, 2010.

1. backyard barns

backyard barns New Egg

Jan 23, 2010
    My chickens have been continiously plucking at each others tail feather area.
    They are picking on one imperticular, my rhode island red ( i have 6 leghorns and 5 rhode island reds ).
    I have read that it can be from bordum,stress, lack of protien, or lack of space.
    They have enough room. So it is probably one of the others.
    If anyone has info on how to solve any of these problems it would be great.

Thank you,
    Backyard barns [​IMG]

2. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    I was having the same problem. I don't know what worked but here is the changes I made
    and the feather picking seems to be way down.(knock on wood}
    #1 get some blue cote and spray the areas that are bleeding or just missing feathers They don't seem to like the taste.
    #2 I got two 25lb of flock block and put one in the run and one in the coop.
    #3 I have been adding other treats like cabbage to keep their little bird brains busy and their minds off of picking each other.
    #4 I added oyster shell. I had been giving calcium flakes and switched to the oyster shell cause they ran out of CF. I don't think the switch did the trick but I will
    say they never really ate much of the CF and when I put the oyster shell in they went nuts.
    Good luck I know it's frustrating. Oh ya.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Alaska

feather pecking, picking, plucking can be a vitamin deficiency
    get some vitamin, mineral, Probiotic & electrolytes to mix in their drinking water 2-3 times a week.

4. Choochoo

Choochoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks for this info! I have three chickens plucking for the first time and it is driving me crazy to see the bare spots. One (or many) plucked all her tail feathers out and now she keeps trying to put oak leaves there to replace them! They have plenty of room and roam free everyday but the diet thing I will have to try next. I will google blue kote. Thanks again! Wish me luck. I was also told flax seed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by