Chicken Feed 101

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by norristhechickenman, May 14, 2011.

1. norristhechickenman

norristhechickenman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi guys, its me, norris again... here to ask questions... lol

I have been reading a lot i just want to clarify some things about chicken feed... all I know is that the chicks need fresh water all the time and plus I put a tablespoon of sugar per quart of water, is that effective? i just read it on some magazine... but my primary question is what specific type of feed should i give for chicks, growers and grown up chickens... I am currently feeding my chicks the starter feed.. what are the best feeds in the market? economy wise... cheap but the best... hehe

thanks in advance...

norris

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Only put the sugar in the very first water they get. After that one time, rinse the waterer out real well and use regular water. The reason to give the sugar water for the first time is to give them a little extra energy to get over the stress of shipping.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I just got a 1,000 page text book on chicken health and diseases. Some things I read last night:

Remember that feed companies will use the cheapest way to get necessary ingredients into a feed. Popular brand names does not mean better ingredients.

There are certain amino acids/protein that you can only get from meat. Chickens need some kind of meat, and relying on bugs is not the way. If grain does not have meat or meat products, give them some meat.

Good products are mostly grains, and it's nice to find some alfalfa meal in there too. Corn and soybean are not ideal-it's the cheapest way. It leaves a feed company with having to add alot of different vitamins and minerals, etc, to make up for the foods that are not there to supply them.. It's done to lower the price to make the feed. Since feed needs alot of additives then, there is more chance of error.

So I myself will be looking for feeds that have more grain products than corn or soybean. And meat or fish added.
    16% Protein is good, and 1-3% calcium is good, as a guideline.

Use starter-grower up until a hen lays an egg. Then switch to layer, and supply oyster shell or a calcium product.

4. norristhechickenman

norristhechickenman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:wow! this is a lot... so worms and bugs doesnt really supply the chickens the protein they needed?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, worms and bugs are fine, but there is no way to be sure that they are eating the amount needed. I think bugs and worms are great.
    I personally don't think that my chickens are eating enough bugs. Who knows.

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by