Chicken feed, medicated or not?

glendor787

Songster
8 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Virginia and Puerto Rico
Hello chicken lovers!
So my babies should hatch on the 19 of this month. Do any of you have any advice on what for to feed? I'm pro organic, but do any one have any advice on medicated or organic?
Thanks and blessings!!
Glenda

When I got my chicks I went into the feed store knowing nothing, seriously. I was standing there trying to google things on my phone
roll.png
anywho, the store employee threw a small bag of medicated Manno Pro food at me and I took it. I have no issue with medicated feed like some people do but I used the bag up and then changed to a different brand (big 40ish lb bag) of normal chick starter crumbles.

It really isn't necessary. It does not prevent coccidiosis. The best thing to do is to put a lump of grass with topsoil in your brooder from day 1 and let them be exposed to the cocci strain in your yard. They have a bit of natural immunity for a week or two, then they start building up their own. If you have an outbreak of cocci, it needs to be treated with Corid (amprollium) right away--medicated feed won't do it. Most broody-raised chicks have their babies out in the dirt by the 3 rd day getting exposed to the soil, and it is rare for those chicks to get it unless the broody gets it.

Coccidia is species specific, each type infects only one species of animal, so cat coccidia won't infect chickens and vice versa.

I see, thanks for the info. My 3 rescue kitties got Coccidia and they almost die, it cost me some $$$ to get them well. I will google Coccidia on chickens to be familiar with it!
Thank u!!

Back
Top Bottom