Chicken feed, medicated or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by glendor787, Aug 7, 2013.

1. glendor787

glendor787 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello chicken lovers!
    So my babies should hatch on the 19 of this month. Do any of you have any advice on what for to feed? I'm pro organic, but do any one have any advice on medicated or organic?
    Thanks and blessings!!
    Glenda

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    We use medicated for the fist 2 weeks or until the bag of feed is gone and non medicated from them on.

3. glendor787

Jul 24, 2013
    Cool! Thank u!

4. ChickenWhisper0

ChickenWhisper0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    I only use all natural CO-OP feed, that way when you have those people you can pull the "All natural" plus mine free range so i can pull the "free ranged" chickens too.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    When I got my chicks I went into the feed store knowing nothing, seriously. I was standing there trying to google things on my phone [​IMG] anywho, the store employee threw a small bag of medicated Manno Pro food at me and I took it. I have no issue with medicated feed like some people do but I used the bag up and then changed to a different brand (big 40ish lb bag) of normal chick starter crumbles.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It really isn't necessary. It does not prevent coccidiosis. The best thing to do is to put a lump of grass with topsoil in your brooder from day 1 and let them be exposed to the cocci strain in your yard. They have a bit of natural immunity for a week or two, then they start building up their own. If you have an outbreak of cocci, it needs to be treated with Corid (amprollium) right away--medicated feed won't do it. Most broody-raised chicks have their babies out in the dirt by the 3 rd day getting exposed to the soil, and it is rare for those chicks to get it unless the broody gets it.

7. glendor787

Jul 24, 2013
    Are we talking about the same Coccidia that attack cats? Also, thanks for all of your advice!!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Coccidia is species specific, each type infects only one species of animal, so cat coccidia won't infect chickens and vice versa.

9. glendor787

Jul 24, 2013
    I see, thanks for the info. My 3 rescue kitties got Coccidia and they almost die, it cost me some $$$ to get them well. I will google Coccidia on chickens to be familiar with it!
    Thank u!!

10. glendor787

Jul 24, 2013
    How can a give water to my only one baby chick? He already fell in the tiny container so I removed it. Any suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by