Chicken feed mixed with poop :/

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickadelic, Dec 22, 2014.

1. chickadelic

chickadelic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Is it really bad for the chickens to peck and eat the food that falls on the ground into their poop?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

They typically will do it whether you like it or not. They will not explode, but it cannot be the best for them. If you do not like it, maybe you should put them farther apart. The feeder farther away from the roost, I mean. Or is it treats or scratch?

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. I've never read any studies of the effects on chickens eating their own poop with their food, but as Free Feather said, they are going to do it (at least to some degree) whether or not you want them to. Keeping their feeders raised above the floor by hanging them from the ceilings and using cone shaped feeder covers on top of the feeders will help minimze the amount of poop that gets into the feed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

4. chickadelic

Jul 9, 2014
    Well I have the feeder in the run and of course it is full of poop, so the feed falls on the floor of the run. I just don't know how you can get away from all that poop.

5. chickadelic

Jul 9, 2014
    I have 11 Barred Rocks. The run has cage flooring right on the ground. What is the best stuff to put on the floor of the run? There is quite a bit of poop in there [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would recommend either fine pea gravel or coarse river sand with lots of small pebbles in it (not fine beach sand which has been known to impact chick's crops).

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

One thing about chickens, they do know how to poop, lol. You'll want to keep things as clean as you can, it's better for the chickens and nicer for you. You may want to check out some of the designs for "no waste feeders" to see if that helps reduce the amount of feed from falling on the ground.

9. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Clean it.

10. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I agree. Also, make sure they are not crowded. If your chickens have enough room in their house it shouldn't be too poopy all over the floor.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by