Chicken feed !

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jcriscio, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    Ok so I've got some 4 week old chicks that I feed Dumor to them but I'm tossing up the idea of switching to Nutrena nature wise layer feed when they get to adult .. What's your opinion ?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I live in Alberta Canada so I am not sure about those brands of feed..
    I will tell you how I feed Chicks as far as nutrition goes...
    I feed 20% medicated chick starter till 8 weeks old...I use unmedicated grower till 18 weeks or till the first egg..
    Then I switch to a layer pellet that is 17 to 19% and provide oyster shell...
    This year I have a mixed Flock ranging from 18 weeks to 14 weeks, so I will not start using layer till my youngest birds start to lay..
    I will continue feeding grower and will provide oyster shell once I get my first egg from the older birds.

Hope I could help?

3. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    Yes all feedback helps a great deal thank you [​IMG]

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I used purina start & grow till 16 weeks. Then I switched to naturewise by mixing 50/50 with start & grow for 2 weeks. Now just naturewise layers from 18 weeks on. My 5 pullets like it and I like it. I get about 12 dozen eggs a month.
    If you don't have sex-links, production reds, or white leghorns, wait till 18 weeks to switch. If you're in the northern hemisphere, wait till you get your first egg to feed layers feed, because unless you have a sex-links type of pullet, they may not lay this year. Feed an unmedicated start & grow or all-flock at 16 weeks till first egg, with oyster shell and granite grit on the side. GC

5. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    I use the non-medicated chick starter until they hit 12 weeks.

In the past I fed the country feeds layer crumble. I got sick of the waste. I wanted to feed higher protein but didn't want to pay through the nose for feather fixer.

This year, with the addition of a rooster, I needed to switch out of a layer ration and offer oyster shell separately.

I wish I would have done this sooner. I now feed an 18% all-flock and offer oyster shell in a dish. Shell quality is better than ever and I like the added protein in the diet.

6. chickin chick

chickin chick New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    I have medicated starter/grower feed from Southern States that I've been trying to use up. Some of my hens have started laying and I want to make sure their eggs are ok to eat. I've actually mixed it with layer feed & offer extra calcium.
    Everything I've read seems to indicate that it is Ok, but has been pretty vague on the subject. Any advice?

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    If it's (Amprolium) it's ok. I used up my medicated feed by mixing it 50/50 with scratch grains. GC

1 person likes this.
  8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I was using a Purina brand for a while until i looked at the bottom of there feed which was powdery i do not like to use Purina but some of there feed is good others are bad Ive heard a lot of byc talking about how they don't like Purina

9. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    These are all great ideas ! I am
    Up North and I believe I'm also gonna add corn scratch to the feed to help keep their body temps up for New England winters as well ... I have heard about the oyster shells I will check into that as well

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  10. jcriscio

jcriscio Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Northford Ct
    Yeah I'm not fond of using that myself I wasn't even considering it ... though some people praise it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by