Chicken feed

ChickChic34

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2022
Hello,
When we got our chicks, they were reportedly 2 weeks old. The “chicken expert” who worked there said she feeds her chicks the medicated chick feed until they are around 6 weeks old and then switches them to the same layer feed as the rest of the hens. Around the time our chicks got to be 6 weeks, they were mostly making huge messes with it and didn’t seem to be eating much. So we went ahead and made the switch to the mini layer pellets. The chicks immediately started eating it. Now I’m reading a lot of info that layer feed should not be started until 18 weeks-ish.

So what should I be feeding my 8 week old chicks?

Hello,
When we got our chicks, they were reportedly 2 weeks old. The “chicken expert” who worked there said she feeds her chicks the medicated chick feed until they are around 6 weeks old and then switches them to the same layer feed as the rest of the hens. Around the time our chicks got to be 6 weeks, they were mostly making huge messes with it and didn’t seem to be eating much. So we went ahead and made the switch to the mini layer pellets. The chicks immediately started eating it. Now I’m reading a lot of info that layer feed should not be started until 18 weeks-ish.

So what should I be feeding my 8 week old chicks?
I would feed grower or raiser pellet/crumble or all flock. Too much calcium for non-laying birds. And you might have cockerels in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom