chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by buck1075, Nov 6, 2011.

1. buck1075

buck1075 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    i have 2 rhode island red chickens that are about 10 weeks old,my son went and bought feed at tractor supply before we got the chickens,we thought we were getting older chickens the feed is for 18 week old chickens , if they are eating it is it ok? thanks dan

2. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    From what I gather from my experience and what I have learned from the awesome members of BYC - the pullets need to be fed Chick Starter as it is medicated and is formulated with the things young chickens need to grow up nice and big.

What type of feed did your son purchase?

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    your new chicks need chick starter/grower till they reach POL around 20 weeks or till they start to lay eggs.

they need this food to promote proper development and bone growth. It is not suggested they eat layer feed for weeks yet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    They should definitely not be on a layer feed at that age.

As fars the medicated thing. If the chicks were vaccinated against coccydioisis, you do NOT want to use a medicated feed. It will negate the effects of the vaccine.

Going on the side of caution, I'd suggest a non-medicated starter-grower feed for the the next 8 weeks or so.

5. buck1075

buck1075 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    ok thanks for the input on feed,iwill buy a bag of feed for younger chickens,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by