Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ray24, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    Today while filling up feeders with new chicken scratch there was about 20 bees in my feeders. We do have bee boxes in the pasture but this is the first time Ive ever seen bees in my feeders. Why are they there?

2. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Was there any water in the bottom of the feeders? Other than the bees getting a drink, I'm clueless. This is very intriguing!

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    This is a fascinating question for me, since I have chickens and also honey bees. Your question started me searching the internet for an answer. This article is very interesting, and makes sense to me. See what you think. I have to say, I've never seen my bees in my chicken's feeder or coop, but they do forage just about everywhere. Doesn't surprise me that they might be attracted to corn and protein in the feeder. http://peacebeefarm.blogspot.com/2010/01/bees-in-chicken-yard.html

Edited to ask - Do you know what kind of bees they were?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  4. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  5. ray24

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    The bees were honey bees it was very strange for me to walk out and see tons of bees in the feeders! I just started feeding scratch again about 2 days ago. Could that be why?? hmmm...

6. ray24

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
  7. ray24

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
  8. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    We have honey bees and chickens! When it is warm enough for the bees to fly and feed sources for them are scarce, they burrow into our chicken feeders to get the soy flour that has sifted to the bottom. We actually feed them soy flour in early spring, it simulates pollen and gets them going a little earlier in the season so we have them strong for their first pollination crop which is usually blueberries.

9. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Nice to find another chicken and honey bee owner! I love my chickens and my honey bees!! I guess my bees just haven't found my girls' feeder yet :D

10. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Usually in late winter/early spring for about 2-3 weeks I have to go slow when entering my coop :) After that they find better things to eat, usually the maples blooming I think. The chickens just ignore them......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by