chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken farmer8, Jan 13, 2014.

1. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    Is there a way to grow your own feed for your chickens because my feed cost is kinda high and im looking for ways to lower it im hoping that this will lower the feed bill a little i just don't know what i need to grow it.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Chickens will eat anything.

Leftovers, burnt food, starting to spoil food ( a little mold is OK, but not lots of mold)

Mine love all bones and carcasses. They can't make it through tough salmon skin, but if you cut it up they will eat it. They don't eat the bones, but they pick off all of the meat.

Almost everything from the garden, weeds, seeds, slugs, worms, plants

Some people grow melons for their chickens....

Mine love free stale popcorn from the movie theater.

Note:
    Adding in a large percentage of 'other' food can lead to malnutrition so:
    - always have oyster shell on the side, fed free choice (or baked crushed egg shells)
    - if you will do this to a great extent and over a long time period, spend some time reading up on chicken nutrition.

3. chicken farmer8

Jan 13, 2014
    thankyou i actually have some old tomatoes and watermellon in my fridge right now im gonna see if my chickens will eat that thankyou very much for your feed back

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If they have never seen that kind of food before, they might not eat it when you first toss it out. Just leave it in their run for a few days. One of them will finally get curious enough to try the new food, and then they will love it.

5. chicken farmer8

Jan 13, 2014
    ok i will thanks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by