Chicken Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by P-F, Apr 18, 2008.

1. P-F

P-F Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Delphos, Ohio
    I am working on my coop and plan on having 21 birds. I am trying to figure our how big of a feeder I need and I would like it big enough were I only have to fill it once a day or every other. I bought a hanging one that says it will work for 15-30 birds, and hubby made the smart comment "yeh if you fill it 3x a day" Anyway I appriciate you advice and I would love to see pictures of some larger wall mounted types

Thanks

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    ive got a 100lb poly feeder you can get a macmurry hatchery.i bet the hanging feeder you got is the 25lb steel feeder.an if so that would feed your hens 3 or 4 days.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Hm, I have a regular size feeder and only need to fill it every other day, and I have 14 chickens feeding out of it. If I had twenty (and I will when the babies grow up) I'll have to fill it every day, but no big deal since I top it off every day anyway.

I do give some good snack, though, so maybe that's why...

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What works best form me is a hanging feeder inside the coop that holds 15 lbs of feed with no problem.
    I fill it every few days when needed.

I also have a 36" trough feeder that I place in the covered pen area for treats like scratch and cracked corn.

It is picked up and brought into my garage at night to keep rodents away, however it is empty by then and fresh treats are carried out in it in the morning for the waitng and excited flock.

The main feeder being kept in the coop is a good idea for fowl weather and safe keeping from wild birds etc...

bigzio

6. opiyfz450

opiyfz450 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    southwestern pa.
    I built one that holds 100lb of feed. i fill it once every 3 weeks for my 15 buff orps.
    [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use thirty pound hanging tube feeders. For twenty one birds it would need to be refilled about every five days or thereabouts.

.....Alan.

8. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    We have 23 birds, and bought two wall mounted "Small Pig Feeders" from Tractor Supply.

Not only do they stay securely mounted to the wall, saving space and also preventing spills, we only fill them once a week or so.

We highly recommend them!

9. Top Hen

Top Hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Any pics of the small pig feeders? And how much are they?

10. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by