chicken feeders.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bucky52, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Any one have any sugesstions for a feeder.My girls waste so much feed.and with all the rain,snow and sleet.,Even though they are in a covered run it smells.I am using a plastic feeder that I picked up at tractor supply.I don't think a treadle feeder would work.

thanks!

2. mixmaster

mixmaster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    I use a goat trough. Tractor Supply sells them for around $15... they are deep, so not mich gets scratched out and it has a wire top that keeps them from standing in it

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I use a hanging galvanized feeder, but the trick with pretty much any feeder it to have it elevated about to the level of the bird's back, this helps prevent them from wasing so much. Even with this, I do notice sometimes they have a fair amount of feed on the ground, and I just don't fill the feeder that day, I encourage them to clean up what's on the ground.

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    ok.thanks.

5. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I have one like this:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Chicken-Feeder/

I put some duct tape across the bottom third of the opening because one of mine is bad about shoveling out food. I also switched them to pellets. Not a drop is spilled anymore.

6. LarryH

LarryH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is the feeder I built. All the food they kick out of the dish goes thru the wire and into the bucket. There is no waste. Let me know if you want closer pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by