Chicken feelin' HOT,HOT,HOT!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Hi All! It's going to be in the upper 90's here in VA the rest of this week and pretty much all of next week. The lows are gonna be in the 70's.

How do I help to keep my chickens from getting to hot? Last night, LuLu, my black sex link was panting, poor thing. I put ice cubes in the waterer, but you can lead a chicken to water...oh wait, that's a horse! [​IMG]

2. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Guess only my chickens are the only ones who are so cool that the sun shines on only them, making the hot!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Can you run a fan out there?

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I live in New Mexico. The last 2 weeks it has been 107-110 degrees outside. At 9pm it is still over 90 degrees. I bought a mister at Wal-Mart for $12.00 and it's about 12 feet long. It works great! It came with clips and I clipped it to the wire about 3 feet high. The hose is on a timer and I run it from 12 noon until about 4 or 5 in the evening. It lowers the temp by 30 degrees. My chickens LOVE it. They also enjoy scratching the wet dirt underneath it to look for yummies! Give the mister a try. Hope this helps.

5. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Love My Critters,

Thank you sooooo much!!! That is a great idea! Cheap too. I'll have to try that.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    That sounds like a great idea...I was worried about them having problems with the humidity one of those might cause. I will have to get one thought if it lower the temp that much!
    Are they fairly easy to assemble? My water hose in in our garage.

I was just going to start freezing 2ltr water bottles and hanging them in the coop.

7. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Where I live we have about 5% humidiy!! Needless to say, the chickens really enjoy it. I really don't see how it could cause any harm, it's better that overheating. We also have a rabbit that stays under the mister too. It was VERY easy to assemble. I just had to screw in the little mister caps onto the tubing and it was done. At my Wal-Mart it wasn't in the garden center part, I had to go to where the fans and a/c parts were kept. It was also a small package so it took awhile to find.

8. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    So everything came with it, the tubing and parts? Does it just hook to your water hose?

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I live in New Mexico. The last 2 weeks it has been 107-110 degrees outside. At 9pm it is still over 90 degrees.

GOOD LORD! [​IMG] I would be packing my bags the night it stayed 90 after the sun went down! [​IMG]

I'm a home grown Wisconsinite! Were lucky to reach 90 in the mid of summer in daylight! And when it does I'm in a/c [​IMG]

Oh I forgot to add...right now IN DAYLIGHT it's 60...my type of temps [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I am envious!

Last night here in AR, it was 81 degrees at 11pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by