1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Feelings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tish_matt, Sep 10, 2011.

1. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    We let the chickens out of the run last saturday and they did great except for 1 bird, who flew into the forest, back out and on top of the run, over the run, then flew back over, then flew into neighbors yard, finally back into the woods for a few more hours untill we got her back in the run. Now our issue is do we let everyone else out and leave her in the run by herself, or will this hurt her feelings? We dont want to make her sad, mad or jealous and we dont want to upset her egg laying, which is just starting to happen. Our other birds are all pretty large and can not fly well. but the hamburgs fly like crazy. We have no problem with them out but we have a large dog who might attack and the neighbors have 2 big dogs that will attck if the chickens are in their yard. Our yard is kind of fenced in but the hamburgs can easy hop over.

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i'm unsure if chickens have the ability to process the emotional depth/range you suggest, but i do think you should build a higher fence.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    [​IMG]

I agree. Chickens don't have that emotional depth. But you could have a taller fence. [​IMG]

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Could you trim a wing so she can't get as high?

How tall is your fence? The smaller birds have no trouble going over my 6 ft fence, the LF somehow or 'nuther, get their big selves over my 4 ft fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by