Chicken Feelings

tish_matt

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Mass.
We let the chickens out of the run last saturday and they did great except for 1 bird, who flew into the forest, back out and on top of the run, over the run, then flew back over, then flew into neighbors yard, finally back into the woods for a few more hours untill we got her back in the run. Now our issue is do we let everyone else out and leave her in the run by herself, or will this hurt her feelings? We dont want to make her sad, mad or jealous and we dont want to upset her egg laying, which is just starting to happen. Our other birds are all pretty large and can not fly well. but the hamburgs fly like crazy. We have no problem with them out but we have a large dog who might attack and the neighbors have 2 big dogs that will attck if the chickens are in their yard. Our yard is kind of fenced in but the hamburgs can easy hop over.

eggdd

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
i'm unsure if chickens have the ability to process the emotional depth/range you suggest, but i do think you should build a higher fence.

BorderKelpie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
outside Dallas
Could you trim a wing so she can't get as high?

How tall is your fence? The smaller birds have no trouble going over my 6 ft fence, the LF somehow or 'nuther, get their big selves over my 4 ft fence.

Top Bottom