chicken feet fear

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chick'n'weave, Mar 9, 2017.

1. chick'n'weave

chick'n'weave Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    Am shopping around for chicken coop. Some have solid flooring under roost with cleanout drawer; some have galvanized 1/2" wire. Will the wire damage their feet?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would Not use 1/2" hardware cloth for "chickens"----chicks yea, but grown chickens drop some Big bombs---not going to go through 1/2". If I was going to floor a coop it would be with boards or plywood and add some bedding to catch the droppings.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    While you're shopping, consider this: general recommendation is for 4 s.f./bird in the coop. coop also needs to be tall enough so that perch is above level of nest boxes, and there is at least 15 - 18" above the perch. Coop needs LOTS of ventilation, as well as natural lighting, all openings in coop should be covered with 1/2" hardware cloth to make it predator proof. Happy shopping. I agree with above poster. No wire on floor.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I consider the wire damaging their feet question a good question. Not all wire is equal. Some hardware cloth or other wire has sharp nubs from the manufacturing or galvanizing process that can tear their feet up. But due to the manufacturing process, all those sharp nubs, if they are there at all, should all be on one side. If you install the wire smooth side up, it’s not an issue.

I use ½” hardwire cloth for the floor of my brooder and grow-out coop. I haven’t had any foot issues. Until my full-sized fowl chicks are maybe 12 to 14 weeks old, the poop goes right on through to bins waiting below. Talk about easy clean-up. But at some point the poop gets too big to go on through. I have no experience with 1” hardware cloth for adults, I don’t know how that would work.

What coop are you looking at to buy? A lot of people get pre-fab coops and make them work and some aren’t that bad, but some are awful for chickens. Most only hold about half or even less chickens they say they will, usually have more nests than you need, the roosts are often too low, most have horrible ventilation, hardware and other materials are not very robust, there can be a lot of things wrong with them. If you have a link to what you are looking at we can maybe comment, but I’ll warn you the comments probably won’t be good. It will help to know how many chickens you are planning on having too.

I don’t know your building skills, what tools you have, your schedule, all that stuff. Most of the time you can build something better for less money, but different things can affect that. In your Texas heat good ventilation and shade is critical.

2 people like this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agree 100x. A hoop coop is easily within the building skill of almost anyone.

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I wouldn't use wire floor for chickens. I presume the idea behind that is easier clean up. Full grown chickens have big poo, sometimes about the size of a golf ball. It's also not firm so it will be hanging like stalactites.

7. chick'n'weave

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    thanks for your feedback. I am seriously looking at the Urban Coop Company - model is the Roundtop Backyard Chicken Coop with attached run - seems like a good "sale" price and website says it will house 2-6 hens. I won't get more than 4. Website is urbancoopcompany.com

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

8. chick'n'weave

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    .....and it's a 16-gauge welded wire under the roost.

9. chick'n'weave

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    thanks PD...maybe I could add the plywood on top of the wire floor. We'll see.

10. chick'n'weave

Feb 25, 2010
    Texas
    thanks for your suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by