Chicken Feet for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by the1moe, Nov 9, 2008.

1. the1moe

the1moe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I picked up a copy of one of our local mags and was reading an article in it concerning chickens... this particular article was about a gentleman who was a chicken dematologist.. or something along those lines... the article went on to state that the 3rd most desired part on the chicken is the feet.... as much as 130,000 pounds of chicken feet are lost each year due to some sort of disease on the feet... as a military vet of 27 yrs active, I had the opportunity to visit the Philippines and ended up learning to enjoy chicken feet emmensly... specially so if they are BBQ.... So who else eats chicken feet (we call them Adidas), and how to you prepare yours...?

We first clean and then boil the feet for a little while with salt and garlic powder... Oh, maybe about 10 minutes or so to soften them up a bit... then put them on the BBQ and brush them with your favorite BBQ sauce... we like to use Banana Catsup (the spicey one).... Mmmmm Goood.....///Moe

2. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I've been taking classes for culinary arts and our chef says chicken's feet make the best chicken stock.

3. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    I was served chicken feet when I was in China, but couldn't get up my nerve to try them.

:mad::mad:

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    When I was about 18 I rented a room from an Austrailian lady. It was room and board. I was pretty shy and was only doing this because I had a great job on the local Navy base.

The very first night we were having Chicken soup. She was a gourmet cook and it smelled SO good. Well, as she was dishing it up, I noticed the feet floating to the top of the pot. Come to find out, it was Chicken Foot Soup. [​IMG] She saw the sick look on my face and said, "Don't worry, those feet are for me, I don't share them with anybody" Whew, but the thought of them being cooked in there. She ate those feet down to the little bones. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CarolMinnesota

CarolMinnesota Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    I simmered 8 chicken feet for 6 hours in water with salt, vinegar and assorted veges. The stock was rich and delicious, but the chicken feet were tasteless and mushy and the skin very tough and inedible.

I plan to try again, shortening the cooking time and/or pressure-cooking them in hopes of leaving some flavor in the feet.

Is the skin supposed to be eaten?

Carol in Minnesota (33 yrs military reserve, still participating)

6. the1moe

the1moe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Hey Carol... If you trim the nails off and then place the feet in some boiling water for a couple of minutes, the yellow outer skin will come off quite easily.... after which I boil them with seasoning... after about 10 mins of boiling, stick them with a fork and it should slide in easy, but not too easy... you don't want mushy feet... after they are fork easy, take them out for a short rest, then put them on the BBQ.... then you can eat the whole thing minus the bones... I sometimes leave on one toe nail for the unsuspecting guest....[​IMG] When they ask about it I just tell them to use it to pick their teeth..[​IMG] ///enjoy...///Moe

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't in the past, but I'm going to start using them for stock. They have a lot of connective tissues and contain a ton of gelatin which makes for great stock.

8. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    We often eat lunch at a local Dim Sum restaurant, where I often see people eating the chicken feet. Thank goodness the servers seem to know which diners only want "americanized" dim sum! I almost gag every time I see people eating them! [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Up here where I live now it is rare to find chicken feet in the grocery meat case - mostly only in ethnic stores.

Back home in Georgia, feet and rice is eatin' high on the hog so to speak - but then that would be neck bones and rice. [​IMG]

Don't knock it too hard. 'Peasant' food is good eats!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicken feet are awesome! I love the spicy chicken feet from dim sum. At home we usually turn them into stock/soups, or just eat them when they are softened up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by