Chicken feet for stock....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Brunty_Farms, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I made a chicken noodle soup the other day from a young rooster I processed. I used the whole bird except the head. I boiled all of the meat, bones, skin, fat, and feet.

Surpisingly the feet added a lot of gelatin to the soup. I've heard from my customers how much flavor that the feet add that I decided to try it. It's like night and day...

Anyone ever make a soup stock soley made from chicken feet? I'm thinking I'm going to have to try this.....

2. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

When I was growing up not only did we use the feet for soup, we ate them and they were delicious! We used to buy a fresh-killed chicken from a local farm and you got everything with it. My Mom is from Germany and in those days, you ate EVERYTHING. Nothing went to waste.

I haven't had chicken feet in years but I found a Hispanic supermarket where they sell them packaged just like all the other meat in the case. I know it is an Oriental delicacy and I guess it is also a European thing. I keep on thinking of getting some and trying them again since I know where I can get them.

Enjoy the chicken feet soup! Genie

Edited to add: I just did a search on Wikipedia and found a whole description of how chicken feet are used for food. It is very interesting! Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_feet

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    My dog is fed a totally raw diet and I give him chicken feet for the glucosamine and chondroitin for his joints. I wish Campbells didn't buy them up so they would be cheaper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by