chicken feet messed up

Were the toes ever straight to begin with? A lot of the time, chicks just have crooked toes and people don't really notice it till the bird is much older. Usually it's a genetic issue. Splinting the toes when the chick is very young may help, but there isn't much that you can do once they are more than a few weeks old.

She is about 10 months old now. We've had her for about 6 months now & no her feet were fine up until about a week or so ago. She doesn't seem to be in pain but not sure.

HELP!! I have a Dominique & her feet (toes) have become crooked. They are not straight anymore...She is about 10 months old now. We've had her for about 6 months now & no her feet were fine up until about a week or so ago. She doesn't seem to be in pain but not sure.

Hi @Nancyfau :frow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her feet?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

A few causes that could cause crooked toes are vitamin B2 deficiency, injury and bone deformities.
You can try offering poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin B2(Riboflavin) or you can crush a human B-Complex tablet (no iron) and add it daily to her feed.

We look forward to your photos and more information.

ED0408DF-AA88-412F-B3E5-0B9F80F980E4.jpeg
8FF624F1-F1CA-41C5-A501-5B5E6AC2975A.jpeg

A few causes that could cause crooked toes are vitamin B2 deficiency, injury and bone deformities.
You can try offering poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin B2(Riboflavin) or you can crush a human B-Complex tablet (no iron) and add it daily to her feed.

Our chickens

They are able to free range most of the day. We feed our chickens Purina chicken crumbles, chicken scratch, sunflower seeds, dried worms, and most of our leftover fruit and or vegetables.

Hopefully I uploaded the pictures OK. This is my first time trying to upload a picture.

It's unfortunate, but there is nothing much that can be done about her toes this late. I have had a couple with issues, that if they are seen in the first week of life, sometimes will respond to taping or chicken shoes. Heredity, incubations temperatures, and mineral deficiency in parents may be some of the causes.

It's unfortunate, but there is nothing much that can be done about her toes this late. I have had a couple with issues, that if they are seen in the first week of life, sometimes will respond to taping or chicken shoes. Heredity, incubations temperatures, and mineral deficiency in parents may be some of the causes.

@Nancyfau thank you for taking the time to post your photos. I must agree with @Eggcessive the toes do not look fixable. The best you can do is to make sure she is able to easily get to food and water and is not bullied. Since the cause of her crooked toes is unknown - you may not want to hatch any eggs from her either (if that is your plans) some deformities can be passed along to the offspring.

Agree with Eggcessive & Wyorp Rock but you can try....
As Eggcessive mentioned Riboflavin deficiency is the first thing that comes to mind, you could try giving her vitamins, PolyVisol without the iron is what I've used, plus foods rich with the vitamin (boiled egg yolk, beef liver, mushrooms, sesame seeds, spinach, there's more but I've lost my notes :hit). Not sure it would work/hurt but if her toes are not stiff, try taping with vet wrap, straightening it out. And if it helps, she still should not be used for breeding. Then again if she's doing ok & it's not affecting her, just leave her alone.

Back
Top Bottom