Chicken feet swollen by hot coop ground

I hang a fan in the run keeps them cooler and the bugs off. I would put a few gallon or 2 liter bottles of frozen water at their favorite spot in the run. They can lay against them to cool off.
Good idea, the bottles of frozen water, although neither my rabbits nor my guinea pigs are smart enough to lay against them so I gave up and bought them an a/c and fans for their room. Hopefully the chicks will be smarter?

I have a run that's 800 sq ft and it has wood shavings. My city let's you get as much as you want for free from their recycling center. It definitely helps keep the chickens feet off of the hot dirt in our 120+° weather we get here in west Texas. I also freeze a shallow dish every. Ight during our hot months and put it out every morning so they can stand in and sip from as it melts. Fans sometimes but we are very windy so we dont usually need it. And shade. Deep shade. The ground can get hot. They need a space that the sun isnt scorching down on.
It is so tough on those of us dealing with that type of heat and trying to keep the chickens cool. I live in SW Arizona so we are up there with you in temp. I did give my chicks a shallow dish with a large chunk of ice and a tiny bit of water one afternoon. One of them seemed to freak after dipping her toe in the pond, not expecting the cold, lol, but when I decided it was a bad idea and took the bowl out they all started crying loudly. Can't win.:rolleyes:

I hear that getting a frys milk jug and emptying it and cutting 4 small verticle slits near the top and filling it up with water then freezing it and putting it in the coop the following morning tends to work well. Should I do that?
Please take this kindly as I'm not making fun, but I busted out laughing when I noticed you specified a "frys" milk jug. :lau What about those poor folks who do not have a Fry's in their community! :idunno The frozen milk jug is a great idea though. In my Arizona heat, the iced jug will almost immediately begin forming droplets of condensation on the outside though so I don't think I will need to put the slits. What are the summer temps in your area? Oh, duh, you are also in Arizona. :oops: That's what I get for teasing you.

It is so tough on those of us dealing with that type of heat and trying to keep the chickens cool. I live in SW Arizona so we are up there with you in temp. I did give my chicks a shallow dish with a large chunk of ice and a tiny bit of water one afternoon. One of them seemed to freak after dipping her toe in the pond, not expecting the cold, lol, but when I decided it was a bad idea and took the bowl out they all started crying loudly. Can't win.:rolleyes:
Yes, it's so tough. I just had to bury one of our 11 week olds yesterday. The heat was just too much for her. 😭 I've now made a makeshift ac and put 2 fans in the coop. That "ac" did a awsome.job today. Got the girls to stop panting and made it feel marvelous. Wish I had thought about it sooner so i could have saved our girl.

Please take this kindly as I'm not making fun, but I busted out laughing when I noticed you specified a "frys" milk jug. :lau What about those poor folks who do not have a Fry's in their community! :idunno The frozen milk jug is a great idea though. In my Arizona heat, the iced jug will almost immediately begin forming droplets of condensation on the outside though so I don't think I will need to put the slits. What are the summer temps in your area? Oh, duh, you are also in Arizona. :oops: That's what I get for teasing you.
I mean as climate change continues to have record temps its usually 120F but not uncommon to have it reach 125f but by 2050 arizona and its entirety will be uninhabitable

I mean as climate change continues to have record temps its usually 120F but not uncommon to have it reach 125f but by 2050 arizona and its entirety will be uninhabitable
That is untrue. Climate change is not that significant and natural. It is politicized way too much, but then I have probably said too much.

We may lose power this summer as many of us are paying for solar generated power from the rooftops of rich people in California. No lie. And Governor Nuisance is considering banning sale of power outside California. If that happens, yes, the desert may become uninhabitable and sooner than 2050.🥵🌵

But honestly I know we will have record temps and ice is a good idea. I was teasing you about specifying a Fry's milk jug when any gallon milk or water jug is the same. Sorry.🤭

Back
Top Bottom