Chicken feet

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by damarisgw, Aug 15, 2010.

1. damarisgw

damarisgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Ok so yesterday I went to HEB and was looking for some chicken to make caldo de pollo and saw some chicken feet [​IMG]
    I was grossed out but kind of intrigued at the whole cooking chicken feet thing, I love watching the food channel
    and have seen the andrew zimmern from bizzare foods eat them all the time .
    They were 2.50 so I thought why not ? So now im home and a have a package of chicken feet that I have no idea how to cook or anything !
    I was thinking of putting them in the chicken soup I was going to make but I don't know how to cook them [​IMG] Do I cut off the toenails ?
    Yuck sounds gross just thinking about clipping dead chicken nails [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well anyway I was wondering if someone out here has any chicken feet recipes they would like to share ?

2. walnuthollow

walnuthollow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    The guy who processes our chickens told us to try them. Said they were a natural glucosamene (spelling?)
    Well, I brough a bag of feet home and through them in with the necks and backs. I also through in some
    celery, carrots, and onions. Left them in the roaster until they fell apart. Yes, it looked pretty gross because
    they were falling apart and the toenails came off too! [​IMG] I decided then and there to strain it through some
    cheese cloth...... [​IMG] I must say that it did smell delicious.... although it's still in my freezer about 2 months
    later. I can see where it would be good for your joints because it set up with a consistency of jello. I'm asuming
    we can use it for anything you would use chicken broth with. Hope this helps you a little. Sandra

3. damarisgw

May 29, 2009
    Thanks =]
    I did the same thing also except I added gizzards and chicken thighs into the pot.
    They were weird definately jello-e lol
    I cut the toenail part off I thought it would be too creepy sucking on chicken toes
    with the nails still on lol
    Can't complain they tasted good

4. damarisgw

May 29, 2009
    Thanks !! I have the chicken soup in the fridge along with the mixture of chicken feet in it as well .
    I still dint get how eating chicken feet would make you breast's grow [​IMG]
    It also popped into my head when I was cutting the toes off that chickens step on their own poo
    and dig in the dirt with their nail but these looked pretty clean lol

5. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    The skin that is on the outside of the feet is peeled off when the chicken feet are processed. We call it the "socks". So, you are not eating anything that came in contact with poo.

Chicken feet, like pig feet, and calves feet have a lot of glucosamine chondriotin because it's a place with a lot of joints. That's why I usually don't make broth with chicken and pig feet because it turns the broth to jelly. Calves foot soup is served really, really hot with a LOT of onion and cilantro and hot pepper so it's not jello-y. Otherwise it's put into a mold and served cold and very expensively called aspic.

To eat chicken feet, boil or steam them until they are soft then drain salt and pepper and get some garlic black bean sauce in the Asian section of your supermarket and mix a dab of that with some soy sauce and drizzle it over the ckicken feet. Sprinkle cilantro over that if you like cilantro.

6. damarisgw

May 29, 2009
    But it doesnt cover the nails ...Does it ? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by