chicken fell in the pool!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trenth265, Feb 4, 2013.

1. trenth265

trenth265 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi, I am a week long 1st time chicken owner i have three and today they were free roaming in the back yard, i went out to close up the hen house and i noticed one was missing and eventually found her on the pool step. it is full grown and just old enough to lay eggs from what i am told, i have read that you can revive them with a blow dryer because the pool was very cold and i dont know how long she was in there she was twitching and is no longer but she is currently lying on a piece of card board with a portable heater near her trying to warm her up! she has been there for 30 minutes or more, what are your thoughts? is she dead or does she need more time by the heat??? any help would be awesome thanks!!

2. trenth265

Feb 4, 2013
    Well... she was under a towel and heater for about an hour and a half and nothing and she started to get stiff, so i confirmed her death and set her out side under a towel and she will be buried tomorrow :'(

3. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    thats stinks..perhaps too much fluid in the lungs by then :(

4. trenth265

Feb 4, 2013
    yea thats what i was thinking, she was face down when i found her.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  5. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. Sylvestor12

Sylvestor12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    You will learn from things like these that will keep the other ones safer than before but it's never good to have to learn the hard way. Well, now you know to get a good pool cover!

7. trenth265

Feb 4, 2013
    Yea we were thinking about putting a chicken wire fence in a big area around the hen house so they stay semi contained and safe from our mean little dog as well as neighbor hood cats.

8. Checkers1558

Checkers1558 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    my bard rock hen got sacred and jumped on the pool cover of my pool. but she didn't fall in. I'm so so sorry for your loss . my family lost 5 chickens. remember get a pool cover!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by