Chicken fell into fermented feed bucket

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pichuris, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    My girl fell into a fermented feed bucket and couldn't get out. I didn't realize she stayed in the basement while taking food to the coop. She is shaking & twitching. She was probably in there for at least 5 minutes maybe 10 minutes at the most assuming she fell in right as I left the basement. Its pretty cold I'm assuming but not sure what else to do. I am drying her off with towels. Any other suggestions?

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    a hair dryer but don't get it to close to her. towels are great for the major wetness but a hairdryer will dry out the remainder of the dampness.

3. pichuris

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    ill try that

4. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I would also put her in a kennel or something like that and bring her inside where it's warm immediately. I would keep her inside over night. A hairdryer is a great idea but you need to get her core temperature up as well.

5. pichuris

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    Update.... After blow drying her and getting her mostly dried she stood up and started walking and talking to me. put her in a kennel with shavings food that almost killed her and water. She pooped big time and i knew she would be better. she started eatin immediately. i think we made it through it.

6. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Yay!!! Thanks for the update!

7. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Was gonna make a joke about the how I seem to keep fallin' into the products of sour mash fermentation, 'til seein' that it coulda been far more serious ... if you have any little ones around? They can do the same thing ... glad everything worked out well ~'-)

8. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    OH wow, sooo happy it made it through the scare! I know it freaked it out for sure, bless it's heart!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by