Chicken Fever and question about flock integration

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    My first new chicks were just two weeks old on Tuesday.

I have evolved into "chicken mama" has my hubby as began calling me.

And now, what traces of sanity I still retained, were spent ordering even MORE CHICKS! Only 7 though. But "exotic" breeds.

I am SO excited and can't wait for their arrival (not til the week of 8/20) from Ideal.

I wonder though, since these chicks will only be about one month apart in age from the 27 I already have, if they will be easier to integrate into the flock than if I had waited until common sense returned before ordering?

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't really know how to answer your questions, other than I think with every new introduction there is an adjustment period. Introducing my 3 day olds to the newborn chicks went pretty easily though.

I DID want to say.. I LOVE YOUR SIG LINE:
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I really do... I can do every one of those thing except fight efficiently.. .and I have a list a mile long of more I need to know how to do.

AND.. I wanted to say.. of course your not alone in the chicken fever! I ordered from MyPetChicken, only to find out it would be more than a month before I got them. So I found a local farmer finally, and got 7 chicks immediately... THEN, I can't remember how I thought it would be a good idea but I ordered EGGS! I hatched eggs, received the first chicks I ordered all within a couple of days. Meanwhile my chicks from the farmer, ALL 7 turned out to be boys, and they are out in the hen house a full 2 months older than everyone else!

Needless to say.. I have 15 more chickens in the bator, and NOW 8 turkey eggs too...
    oh.. and today.. the other 15 turkey eggs arrived! [​IMG]

chicken fever! unbelievable

3. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    Bodyflight,

Thanks for your response.....

Glad you liked my quote...I love it....Are you sure you don't know how to fight? Fighting doesn't always involve picking up the sword or using the fists....fighting can also mean staying strong emotionally or psychologically despite any opposition or negativity coming at us....most all of us humans, we ARE fighters....we fight for our children and their safety and well-being, we fight for our belief system despite what society tells us is normal.....we fight.

So you can conn a ship then,? That one I have not yet mastered.

Stormy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by