1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken fever: Can I mix day old roos with 3 week old pullets

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I apparently can't stop. 20 DP pullets 3 weeks old, keeping for eggs. 25 day old 'fry pan special' DP roosters for meat in the fall. Can they all stay together the whole time, or will there be problems before harvesting? I'm running out of space. Can the day old roos go in with 3 week olds right away? I really should plan better. Too fun.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    they can go in now without may issues, but you will want to take them out when they start to crow or they will harrass your hens too much.

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Due to age differences and without a momma for protection, the day olds just may be hen pecked mercylessly in a bloodthirsty manner. I would house them seperatly.

4. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I put a day old in with a 3 week old. (Only 1 hatched from each batch). The 3 week old pecked the bitty one once, I reprimanded him and after that the older one took on a momma hen attitude to the little one. Even let the little one nuggle under his wing when I was late turning the heat lamp on one night. Not sure how that would work in a grander scale, but one on one they did fine.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would not put day old chicks in with older birds. They are defenseless at that age.

Put a divider in your brooder, or make them their own brooder.

6. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I mix everything all ages together and have very few issues. I do, and suggest you to, to watch them very closely. I monitor them constantly all day and check for wounds the first few nights just to be sure. Usually by 10 days old they are in with the older birds and free ranging. Havent lost a one(chicken wise) yet. Seems every flock and every opinion is different so to each his own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by