Chicken fever?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moomee56, May 31, 2011.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    One of my ill chicks seems to be exedingly warm to the touch. Do chickens get fevers? She/he has been sick with what we think is wry neck, we have given her every possible treatment in the book, and she has gotten better, but recently declined drasticly. Shoul we cull our beloved baby or wait to see how things go? thanks for reading.

2. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    anyone know??

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I Googled, but couldn't find an answer. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Yes, chicks can have true fevers where the body is increasing its temperature to fight off disease.
    They can also have an increased body temperature for 2 other reasons I can think of off-hand:
    -- If the ambient temperature is high (ie they are under a heat lamp, they are in the sun or it is just hot) their temperature will go up. They normally pant to get rid of the excessive heat, but if they are dehydrated or don't feel up to it or it is too humid, the panting wont work as well or not at all and they will be hot.
    --They can also get an increase in temperature if there is excessive muscle contraction--faster than they can dissipate the heat (take your temp after jogging or going on a power-walk and you may find your own temperature increased significantly) . If the chick has wry-neck and the muscles are tensing, maybe that's why it seems hot.

I would make sure the little guy is well hydrated and you may want to give it extra energy such as sugar in the water (I like to give them a choice between with or without sugar).

If he has an infection then the fever will help kill off the bacteria. If he continues to go down hill and you feel he is suffering then it would probably be best to cull, as hard as that's going to be. [​IMG] Good luck.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, my Maple was really sick and had a fever. Her feathers were ruffled as well. Luckily she pulled through and made it.

6. lillydaisy

lillydaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    My hen has hot feet and comb breathing with her mouth open? We found her with her head draped over the side of our garden bed? And she could not stand! Please Message me:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by