Chicken Fight Club? :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommabice, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Okay, so our 8 girls are about 3 and 1/2 weeks old. Today they really started to make a ruckus, and I finally was able to peek around the corner and see what they are doing without them seeing me first.

They are having Chicken Fight Club...I swear. There is one in particular that keeps trying to knock the other girls off the roosts and is just being a butt in general. There are a couple other feisty ones, but that one girl is pretty bossy. Is this just pecking order starting or something worse. I have not noticed pecking going on, no blood.

My question is this, these 8 girls are going to be split up later (3 to my parents house, and 5 are staying here). Should I split them soon so that they can get the pecking order done with, or let them fight it out now and then fight it out again later when we split them to go outside (in 3 or 4 weeks)?

Any tips on dealing with the bully in general? They have been fighting all day.

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Maybe put a small divider up or put her in another cage (make sure she can see her mates) then introduce her back in after a few hours or a day. Might change the pecking order a bit. Good luck.

3. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    na dont worry its the pecking order it should settle down in a few weeks but regularly let them free range if u can it helps alot but iof theres blood separate

4. zstewart123

zstewart123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    St Amant ,Louisiana
    Remember the first rule of Chicken Fight Club is no one talks about Chicken Flight Club!
    [​IMG]

5. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    We have not been able to go outside much yet. Still really windy and it is hard for me to watch the chicks and my one year old at the same time. That's 9 babies to watch. [​IMG]

We are going to start building the coop and run this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to put them in the run for an hour or so a day after that until they move outside for good. They are just 4 weeks old today, so I am not ready to send them outside yet for long.

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I'd say, let them duke it out. But, if it gets too rough, put up the divider. They may decide to re-establish a peck order again after they're split up. We had a peck order established last year, took all the girls to the fair in separate cages and they re-established when they got back home. We had a new queen. Personally, I think the fact that the new queen was surrounded by roosters at the fair scared the begeezes out of her and she felt like she needed to be in control when she got home. She made a lot more noise the next day too. LOL!

7. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Was totally thinkin' that too. We don't talk about Chicken Fight Club. LOL!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by