Chicken Fight.....!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by edster951, Nov 11, 2007.

1. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

As you all know I've been letting the chicks out for 30 mins a day, under human supervision.

We have had no worries at all to date.

The chicks are almost 2 weeks old.

Yesterday I sat quietly by the coup watching them, they were all very well behaved, for over an hour.....

Today I decided after yesterdays success to leave them out unsupervised for an hour, but watch from the house.

No sooner had I got inside, and Chicken Little, the chicks mother, was fighting with HER mother, Naughty Nana....

I yelled "chicken fight", and me and my two sons ran over...we broke up the fight, Naughty Nana got the worst of it, bleeding comb.

I ushered Chicken Little and the chicks back into their coup and closed them in.

I know, maybe a little early, but they have got on so well todate on thier outings. While the humans away the chickens will fight!!.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not much more wild than a broody mama protecting her little ones. My sweet Sunny is like a tiger when she's got little ones.

3. edster951

Quote:There has been no theratening behaviour while I'm there, maybe I'm the alpha hen so no fighting, maybe Naughty Nana pushed her luck once too often while I was not there.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Probably so. When Sunny was broody the first time, she and one of my SLW girls got in a knock-down-drag-out fight and ever since, their "friendship" has been shaky. It's the darnest thing; even now, those two will avoid each other or do the stare-down thing or just have it out. A broody mama never forgets!

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Sounds like me,
    my kids are the only thing that would cause me to fight with my mom!!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It seems like when I let my chickens out, they have to remind eachother of their pecking order. I also let them out in the yard, and the same thing happened.

7. edster951

Quote:Chicken Little, the one with the chicks, is the daughter of the one she was fighting, daughter on mother. Daughter won the fight.

Poor Naughty Nana, she lost the last fight she got into as well when she was defending Chicken Little as chick...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by