Chicken first aid kit, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by navychick, Jun 28, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Our chicks come next week. We have the brooder ready. Feed, grit, waterer and feeder bought. I want to put together a first aid kit in case one of our little "girls" gets sick. What do you recommend I have on hand for emergencies and common illness? Thanks

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd have some electrolyte power to mix in the water, sometimes the trip is rough on them. Sugar in the water can give them a needed boost. Make sure no newspaper, it's to slick for them, paper towels work well for the first few days. Don't feed grit right away, stick with the starter feed, it's all they need. Let them get to three or four weeks before the treats start. Depending on the type of waterer, you might want to drop in some marbles in the water area to take up space. I know it sounds dumb, but the chicks can tip over and drown in the water.

I had 21 hatch yesterday, they're in the brooder now which was just abandoned by the earlier 72 from the hatchery

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is what's in my chicken first-aid box.

-Neosporin without pain relief
    -saline wash (you can make your own if you need it, but I like the way the premade bottles shoot it out)
    -betadine
    -Nolvasan (never know when you might need it for heavy duty disinfecting of surfaces)
    -gauze pads of different sizes
    -cheap tweezers
    -hydrogen peroxide
    -electrolyte powder
    -broad spectrum antibiotic powder
    -disposable latex gloves
    -diaper rash ointment
    -Poly-Vi-Sol drops without iron
    -old towels

Might want to keep a bottle of Blu-Kote around in case of injuries or picking. That's something I don't have but a lot of people do end up needing.

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Medicated chick starter feed. Thats it.

Ditto on keeping the grit for later.

Most people put a little sugar in their water to start. Put very little.

Injuries (after shipment) sometimes occur when they start to peck at each other. This is usually because they are crowded up and
    don't have any entertainment. Give 'em something to climb on/over, explore and scratch.

You really shouldn't need a fully equipped emergency room, although please understand you may lose a couple in spite of all your
    precautions. Shipment can be hard on the little poots.

Good luck! You are going to love this!

[​IMG]

5. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I appreciate your advice. I thought chicks & chickens would be a fun experience. But the more I know the less I know. Who'd a thunk it would be so complicated. I don't think I was this nervous with my kids.

6. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    there are 2 medicines that have came in handy for me:
    -chick electralite mix (forgive the spelling) - gives energy
    - Vet RX (comes in a small red bottle - cures respiratory infections)... i brag on this stuff bc in my first 5 chicks which i rescued, 3 had bad coughs/sneezing. Within 2 days they became lathrgic and one died. I seperated the other 2 and gave them this and they instantly became stronger and are still here (1 year later).

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I thought chicks & chickens would be a fun experience. But the more I know the less I know. Who'd a thunk it would be so complicated. I don't think I was this nervous with my kids.

Ah, the secret is not to micro-manage. It really isn't too complicated, and once on their way they are pretty much self-sustaining. Just a few things you must do, thats all.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by