Chicken fishing???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by simply blessed, Nov 21, 2014.

1. simply blessed

simply blessed Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Colorado
    Just curious if anyone has or knows a reason not to give live fry to chickens as a treat. If breeding goes as planned we will have too many tilapia babies / guppies to house to adulthood and thought of putting them in a shallow dish for chickens to catch. Thought they'd be nutritious, hilarious to watch the hens catch them[​IMG], and would be a better use for the fry than compost. Also wondering about water bugs and minnows. (Kids would have fun catching those for them.) Is there a wrong size? I don't want to choke the poor birds! Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

2. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Chickens are omnivors so there is no problem for them to eat and diagest fish. So you can give them fish I think that you should cut them to small peaces for safety reasons only.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I don't see any difference between giving them little fish and giving them grasshoppers, worms, june bugs.
    Enjoy! Should be a good afternoon for all (except the fish)

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I've heard of funky tasking eggs from too much fishmeal/fishfood/etc, but if you're only giving them as treats, I don't think you'll have a problem.

5. simply blessed

simply blessed Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Colorado
    Good point! Hadn't thought of that! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by