Chicken Flesh Eating Disease? Warning-Graphic pics

country

Songster
Sep 14, 2008
Lincoln, CA
Pippy is a 1 yr. old Frizzled Splash Silkie. Approx. 1 month ago I noticed that the skin under her wings was all scabby. The rest of her looked fine, eyes clear, breathing good, no mites or lice (had just finished treating with Ivomec/Eprinex). I couldn't find anything on the internet similar to what she had and she was eating & drinking so I figured (hoped) that it wasn't anything serious. I slathered the area with Nu-Stock a couple of times & it seemed to be looking a little better. She started doing a community set along with several other hens & appeared to be fine. Then, between chicks hatching, hot weather, etc., I'll admit that I completely forgot to continue treating or at least follow-up on her. I have no excuse, other than that I got busy & stupid all at the same time.

Today, I looked in & she seemed to be laying on her side so I picked her up to check her. Things have taken a definite turn for the worse. She had feces stuck to her rear feathers & the flies were buzzing around her. I rinsed her off & noticed some maggot eggs so I quickly bathed her to get those off, but that was the least of it. The scabs have now spread to her whole body, including her head & face. Here are some pictures I took while she was still wet. It reminds me of some pictures I saw once of a man that had what they called "flesh eating disease" which I think was some type of staph infection but can't remember for sure.

First pic is of her back & the tops of her wings. The blood on the left is where one of the scabs came off.

Pictures 2 & 3 are under her wings where the whole mess started. It was originally just on the underside of her wings but now has spread to the skin on her body that the wing rests on. Picture 3 shows both the wing & the skin on her side.

Next picture shows how it has spread to her face & eyes.

Pippy is now wrapped in a towel & in a plastic bin in my shed to keep her away from flies. I put more of the Nu-Stock on her since I still don't know what I'm dealing with & it's all I have for now. I've sprayed Oxine for her to breathe but I'm thinking of just spraying her with it all over.

I can't believe I let this happen & I've been crying so much it's hard to type. I need help in figuring where to go from here. I'm going back up to see her in a minute & see if she is still eating & drinking but she's very thin so she may not be. I'm going to try her with some yogurt too. Any ideas on what this is would be appreciated. I'm more than willing to do what it takes to nurse her back to health, but I don't want her to suffer either. I guess the best thing to do for now is go up, finish drying her, & see if she's eating, drinking, or seems to have the will to fight this thing, whatever it is.

I'll check back & see if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you.

Pippy didn't make it. When I went to check on her I knew she didn't have long so I wrapped her in a towel & sat with her until she passed. RIP little Pipper.

If possible, I'd still like to keep this thread going in hopes of finding out what caused her death - besides my negligence. The other chickens in with her seemed fine but I'm going to go up now & give each of them a closer inspection just to make sure.

downsm75 - No, not brown recluse. I've seen pictures of their bites & this wasn't anywhere near like that. In spite of my description of "flesh-eating", there wasn't really any skin damage under the scabs unless they were pulled off. Plus, the scabs weren't concentrated in a certain area but had spread all over her body. It appears (to me) to be more of a skin infection or allergy. I thought maybe it might even be a reaction to the Ivomec/Eprinex, but I put that on the back of the neck & this started under the wings, which is one of the reasons why I didn't notice it right away.
MsBagawkbagawk - No, she didn't do the damage to herself. She had scabs in places that I doubt she could have reached. The vets around here don't know anything about chickens & are very reluctant to work on them.
FlyHigher - She was walking fine so not Mareks. I did see pictures of fowl pox with some body lesions but they didn't look even close to what Pippy had.
froggiesheins - I was going to try & find out how to pm them last night but wasn't up to it after Pippy passed. I have to finish chores now but when I get back I'll do a search for them & see if I can send a pm.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It would be nice if someone could figure out what Pippy had & what to do about it in case anyone else's chickens get the same thing. At least her death wouldn't seem so completely meaningless.

Thank you. Pippy was one of my favorites & I'll miss her. If only I'd done more...

Her coop mates seem fine but as soon as I get done taking my meds (colonoscopy prep - ugh!), I'm going to go out & check them from top to bottom to make sure they don't have anything starting up. I usually try & go through the coops about once a month & do a quick health check - eyes, ears, nose, breathing. I pluck overgrown crests & then check beards, vents, crests & legs for mites, lice, & eggs. BUT - I honestly never thought to check under their wings!! You can bet that from now on, everyone will also get their wings lifted up & checked.

Thank you. Pippy was one of my favorites & I'll miss her. If only I'd done more...

Her coop mates seem fine but as soon as I get done taking my meds (colonoscopy prep - ugh!), I'm going to go out & check them from top to bottom to make sure they don't have anything starting up. I usually try & go through the coops about once a month & do a quick health check - eyes, ears, nose, breathing. I pluck overgrown crests & then check beards, vents, crests & legs for mites, lice, & eggs. BUT - I honestly never thought to check under their wings!! You can bet that from now on, everyone will also get their wings lifted up & checked.
If possible, you can do an autopsy to find out what happened to her.

Last edited:
I thought about sending her to Davis for necropsy but I wasn't able to get everything together in time to ship her while she was still fresh. I wonder if sending them the pictures would help?

Back
Top Bottom