Chicken flew into wall HARD w/ pics of injury

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
This morning when I went to let the girls out of the coop all where outside but the last 2. I heard a HUGE thump and went inside the coop. There was Scar under the purches with a gash across her head right above her eyes. There was also blood on the wall in one spot. It's not gushing blood, just split open. Right now I have her in a pet taxi in the house, I dont know what to do. I have a VERY weak stomach for this kind of thing....should I keep her in the taxi today,in the house away from the other girls? Poor thing got her name "Scar" after sticking her head down in a mole, or gopher hole in the yard and almost having her comb tore off....not once but twice. She was bleeding worse those times then she is now, but this gash is wider, just not bleeding a lot. What should I do?

thanks

~Tiff~

Last edited:
here are some pictures of her. Not very good but you can kinda get the idea of her injury. Oh, and she is almost 4 months old.

100_0070.jpg

100_0069.jpg

100_0072.jpg

Last edited:
Rinse it well with saline or betadine solution. Apply neosporin type antibiotic oitnment. Keep her quiet. Feed her well. I wouldn't put her back in with the others because they will pick her wounds and cause more trouble.

Quote:
I agree but, I wanted to say she reminds me of my brother. Always injured one way or another until he almost got himself killed. Now he's been good.

so far so good, I rinsed it a little (all I could take, and all she could take. I put some oatmeal in with her (thats one of her favorites) but she doesnt seem to want any yet. I will take her out later again for cleaning and sit her on my lap and see if I cant get her to eat more, and drink a little more. I have the ok from DH to keep her inside and safe in his office, its a nice calm area of the house..

Thank you. I really hope she pulls through this. this will be the 3rd time I have had to doctor her and it's always on her head (comb and eye area) I think after tis time she wont have any comb left at all.

Eeek, sounds like she flew into the wall. Luckily the injuries have not been in a position where she can pick at them herself. I'd keep her separated to keep the others from pecking at her until she can heel up a bit. Try mixing the oatmeal with some yogurt and water and mixing in a little electrolyte powder; that way she gets some liquids and nutrition in each yummy bite. Of course that's just what my chickens chow down on so it works for me.

I went to rinse he wond again and noticed that part of her skin above her eye....(I guess it would be the eyebrow if chickens have them ) is just a flap, so trying hard not to toss my cookies or pass out I rinsed her gash, and then pressed the flap back into place. Hopefully when she starts to scab over that flap will heal up. I can see now that I need to hand feed her.....anyone that feeds their chickens oatmeal knows the mess they make with it and when she ate hers she got it all over so she wiped her head on the side of the pet taxi and made a big bloody mess. I think this is going to be a long healing process.
Thanks for everyones help and encouragement.

In order to heal properly she needs her strength...this is totally dependent upon her daily nutrition. I suggest you mix the cooked (in water) human oatmeal with her normal feed till it just clumps (this will mean she will get more with each bite which is good as chickens often reduce their feed intake when they are unwell or recovering from injuries)

Back
Top Bottom