Chicken flooring and cleaning question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silverfern, Apr 2, 2012.

1. silverfern

silverfern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    I see people use wood shaving or straw for coop flooring, where do people get so much shaving? also how often are they changed? do you just sweep them out into a bag and then put it out as garbage? Thanks

2. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    We use the cedar shavings for our bedding. We buy it at the local feed store. We change ours out once a week, or more often if the bedding gets wet or muddy. We scoop ours out and put it in our compost pile. Between the wood and the chicken poop as long as it's balanced it's great for compost!

3. silverfern

silverfern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    how about for urban areas? do i just put it into a bag for the garbage? how about using wood chips/mulch?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. pnptrapp

pnptrapp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorento, IL
    For urban areas it depends on how your garbage is seperated. If they have a seperate bin for yard waste that would be the one that I would put the bedding in. if not, I'd just bag it and put it in the regular trash. If you're in an area that likes to give out tickets for not disposing of the trash correctly then I would call and ask the garbage pick up company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by