Chicken flying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Delta2 23, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    How high do your chickens fly?

My chickens can fly up about 1.5m.

[​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    chickens can fly pretty high. Highest i've seen is 20 feet, and about 40-50 feet distance but that was a gamefowl which are known for their flying

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I am a poor little American beholden to the Imperial system of measurement. Since I clipped their wings they are stuck with a measley 3 feet high (.9 meters for the metric minded). Before they got their feathers snipped, they could fly at least 6 feet high (1.8meters) and thus it would have been only a matter of time before they made it over the fence, which would have delighted my neighbors' little yappy dogs. I didn't realize that chickens could actually fly, versus simply "falling with style" as I had imagined.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:by feather site some type of junglefowl (which... is kinda more of a pheasant then a chicken but still) Can fly over oceans, i believe its the Green junglefowl

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine fly as high as the coop is [​IMG]

6. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Quote:Hehehehe [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My little japanese bantams make the 16' high rafters easy. They'd keep going if there wasn't a roof. Yet they still haven't gone over the 2' high plastic garden fence that makes their little yard in front of the coop door. I thought they'd be trying to free range by now.

8. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:I wonder why? Maybe they can "see" a ceiling and therefore go for it. But with "sky" it like looking at infinity so they may stay put.

Any other theories?

9. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I wonder why? Maybe they can "see" a ceiling and therefore go for it. But with "sky" it like looking at infinity so they may stay put.

Any other theories?

Probably more of a respect for "home". From what I read, chickens aren't really that adventuresome. They get comfortable with what is home and they stay put.

My girls have flown over my 4 ft fence, but that's it.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They just don't seem to care. They go out the door, scratch around, hide under the board I leaned against a tree stump so they'd have shelter outside, eat some leaves, and go back in. They spend maybe 10mins every hour outside while I have the door open and otherwise they love their coop. Maybe it's just in their breeding since they were developed to stay in backyards and gardens. Next year after the snow melts and I add 8 more standards to the flock we'll see if they range farther.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by