Chicken foaming of the mouth

Erock1234

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
I need help I'm really new to all this. I have 7 chickens 4 black and 3 rr one rr is a rooster. well one of my black ones kinda keeps to herself, two of the rr peck at her sometimes and she runs past them, well this morning I went out to feed them and one had white drool down her neck and it kinda looked foamy. they are getting clean water, laying mash, bread, veggies, and grass, O and sand. the other 6 are doing great not really sure what to do and would appreciate any advise someone could give me. I wannna just go out and hold her, I know how that sounds but i feel sorry for her and have grown attached to them kinda quick . Can anyone help me please?

Pick her up and listen to her breathing? Any rattly, raspy sounds? Is she still drooling? Any odor? How does she behave?

Could be as simple as something pushed on her crop after she had been drinking, and she slightly regurgitated the water, or could be a respiratory infection.

I did that and no weird sounds or smells but i did notice something new, her neck is swollen, thinking about getting her out from amongst the others it's really starting to worry me

I dunno what it does to chickens, but if a dog eats a ladybug, they secrete something mildly poisonous that makes dogs foam at the mouth. My stupid dog did it
roll.png
Maybe she got a hold of a ladybug? I don't know if it would kill her, but might make her sick. My dog just slung foam everywhere, but she's a lot bigger than a chicken and was okay. I don't know about it making her swell either, but it is possible, since the secretion is mildly poisonous.

I just got back from checking them out she looks very sleepy she stood on the ground and almost went to sleep. I am thinking strongly about putting her out of her misery or at least out of the pen in the case it's contagious it won't affect the others.

Personally, I would separate her and see how she does overnight and tomorrow. Sometimes it is just something little and putting her down seems a bit drastic without waiting. If it is a respiratory infection, they can be treated with antibiotics. I have been through it with my chickens - clears up fairly quickly. Just my two cents on the subject
smile.png

ZooMummzy- thank you i'll do that, don't wanna be drastic, but don't wanna lose them all might have been reading a lil too much lolz.
PunkinPeep- I'm kinda new at this but I just googled crop and that looks to be under her neck, but the swelling is (if you are facing her) the right side of her neck a little under golf ball size

Quote:
Sometimes the crop will swell upwards, so it looks like it's in kind of the neck/shoulder area. I just want to make sure you're not worrying over nothing. Lots and lots of newbies go into emergency mode over perfectly normal swollen crops.

If you want to share a picture, we might be able to get a better idea too.

Back
Top Bottom