Chicken food question? Do i switch them to grower?

Faithful flock

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
South Carolina
I have 17 and 15 week old pullets. They are still on starter.

I have two white leghorns in their that are 17 weeks old. They aren't showing signs that they are going to began laying yet.

However, do I switch them to grower?

I forgot to mention that I do have one 17 week old cockeral in their aswell.

I was thinking about doing a "All flock" feed but I'm too worried about the leghorns in the future not getting enough calcium even from the oyster shells.

Any advise would be awesome!

Forget the names, focus on the guaranteed nutrition labels and the mill dates.

I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them. Crumble because the chicks can easily eat it to, but if you have a mixed gender all adult flock, pellet is fine. If you ferment, pellet is fine.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock (as defined above), all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

Back
Top Bottom