chicken food soup!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Justino, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i found out that if u add warm water to regular chicken food it makes a chicken food oatmeal and mine love it!! has anyone else tried this before?

2. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    wow [​IMG] am i the only one here or r u all ignoring me [​IMG]

3. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Not ignoring, but surfing on a zillion sites at once! Mine like their food both wet and dry. And they like real oatmeal too!

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:well thanks for responding!!! [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Justino, feeding wet mash was very common 100 years ago from what I've read. Personally, I don't go back quite that far [​IMG] but if there's a time of year when it should be a good idea to add water to the feed - it is when the weather is cold and dry. It will freeze or decay if it's left uneaten, however.

I've just found that the hens really like things cooked. And yes, I've got to be careful about putting something out that's too hot. Nichole was saying on another thread (that I just got around to reading today [​IMG] that her chickens like everything except celery. I've found that they will eat celery if it is chopped up and cooked - actually, I can understand why they wouldn't eat it raw . . .

Steve

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    they love it wet as mash. cold water is fine too.

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Yep, I call it "chicken pudding" and I mix it up for the girls almost everyday. I started doing it for my cross-beak EE, so she wouldn't have to spend so much time at the feeder. All my girls LOVE it! They act like it is the best thing EVER! It is also a great way to add in some yogurt, DE, or any supplements you choose to use. I make it warm in the winter and cold in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by