1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniferlamar70, May 13, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Ok so all my chicks have been on chick starter. My oldest are almost 6 weeks now. When do I start them on the grower and what kind should I get? Difference of medicated and un-medicated? Thanks. :)

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would change them over right away to grower. I have four week old that have been on grower for about a week now. Then I change they to layer about 16-20 weeks old. As far as what kind I would not feed Medicated. They are past that point.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have my own methods of taking care of and maintaining my little flock of egg-layers. My birds get a mixture of Whole Grains, recently though, I have gone back to adding supplementary rations.

Here is the traditionally suggested feeding of chickens.

Starter Feeds
    Newly hatched chicks ages 0-10 weeks should be fed a chick starter diet with a protein level between 10%-20%. These rations are formulated to provide proper nutrition for growing baby chickens. Higher protein starter rations (22%-24%) are reserved for meat birds such as turkey, quail and pheasant. This higher protein level maximizes growth for broilers and roasters, but is not necessary or desirable for egg laying chickens.

Grower Feeds
    At 10 weeks of age, a grower feed should replace the starter feed. Grower feeds are typically 15%-16% protein, and are designed to sustain growth to maturity. The higher protein content (20%), in starter/grower feeds is recommended for growing game birds. (and Turkeys)

Layer Feeds
    Layer feeds are designed to provide optimum nutrition for birds laying eggs for consumption. Layer feeds contain 16% protein and have increased levels of Calcium, for proper shell development. Layer feeds should be fed starting around 18 weeks of age, or when the first egg is laid, whichever comes first.

4. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Thank you so much that was really informative. :) I have 8 young layers but I also have quite a few ornamental bantams. Feed them the same?

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Some of us simplify things and feed a flock raiser or all flock type feed, and add oyster shell on the side for layers. It's suitable for chicks up to old hens as well as other fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by