Chicken food

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by JNLVD, Oct 2, 2016.

1. JNLVD

JNLVD New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Hey guys I have a big problem I went out to buy my chickens new food thinking they were 5 months old and ready for and egg laying diet but I realized when I got home I was about three weeks off on their log in accidentally logged in extra week. So now I'm stuck with food for their egg laying and wondering what to do because I took it out of the package. So should I just feed them the food or try to buy new food. They r only three weeks away till they need this food. Help please!!! And thx!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    They probably shouldn't have the layer feed until they start laying. The opened package of layer feed will be just fine to give them when the time comes. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would mix it half and half with grower feed. They aren't mutually exclusive. The primary difference is calcium %. While 4% is too high for birds not yet laying, mixing 50:50 will get you 2.5% which is about what commercial egg farms feed their pullets as a pre-lay diet starting at about 16-18 weeks.
    That way you'll be using it while it is still fresh.

1 person likes this.
  4. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Not to worry--this might actually work in your favor!

As you transition from one diet to another, it is important to have a transition period (7-10 days) where you mix the feeds together. This will help avoid digestive upsets and allow your birds to get used to the taste and texture of their new feed. The extra week in your calculations will actually allow you to slowly transition over to the new layer feed properly.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by