Chicken food??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SilkieLady608, Feb 5, 2019.

1. SilkieLady608

SilkieLady608 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    I'm looking for a chicken food that comes in crumble(because I have silkies, and that's easier for them to eat). Natural, no gmo, has Omegas and vitamins in it. I found kalmbach feed had the things I was looking for, but is it good?
    I'm always looking for better ways to raise my chickens.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. Animals45

Animals45 Songster

Nov 8, 2018
    It is at a feed store and you can pick whatever brand you want.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Kalmbach seems to be a very good feed. I fed both the natural & the organic for awhile & my birds did well. It was so nice to have something around here other than Purina.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    I’ve used a few kinds of Kalmbach feed and have been happy with it. Birds very healthy. Interestingly, for convenience I bought some other feed for some quail from TSC for a couple of months, and even my tween noted how scraggly/unhealthy the birds had become, so we went back to a local mill feed then back to Kalmbach. We no longer have the quail, but my chickens have been on Kalmbach for months and quite healthy!

Chick-N-Fun and Cindy in PA like this.
  5. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    I am a Purina All Flock fan......my flock has thrived on it!

6. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Did you want Layer or are you doing calcium on the side?

Oh and pellets come is several sizes. Nutrena Hearty Hen is 18% Soy and GMO free and is the smaller pellet size so it's good for Bantams. Before that I was using Purina Omega 3 which is also the small pellets.

7. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
  8. Isilvertoes

Isilvertoes In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2019
    Santa Rosa, California
    Following.

Im new to this as well.
    I have 3 buff Brahmas that are around 19weeks old, and Im feeding them NatureWise Meatbird w/ 22% protein crumble (Im almost out of it), should I stick to it or buy different feed? Any tips would help a lot. Thanks!

9. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    I would switch to a Layer blend or an all flock. That is pretty high protein and is intended for the cornish X meat birds, or as a starter for ducks, and gamefowl. The 18% would have been more ideal for them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Isilvertoes likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: