Chicken foot injury not sure how to help it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmingfire, Sep 20, 2016.

1. farmingfire

farmingfire New Egg

Jun 26, 2016
    This is my first rodeo when it comes to raising chickens. I purchased 7 baby Buff orphingtons in the spring and they have since grown to full size hens and roosters. I have 2 roosters and 5 hens, which I know is not the correct ratio. I have one hen who appeared to be limping badly. Upon research I learned about several possible causes to include Mareks and Bubmble foot. I can not see any of the typical signs of these two diseases, so I decided to separate the hen from the others for fear of her being bullied by the healthy hens and roosters. Since separation I have not noticed any signs of improvement and it has been nearly a week since. What I have noticed is that the injured foot now feels ice cold in comparison to the healthy foot. I am unsure what has caused this injury, or what I should do for her to help. Vet is out of the question because we do not have one close enough that works with the avian community. Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated from the experienced folks. Thanks in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Sometimes sprains can take several weeks to heal.
    You can offer her some poultry vitamins to see if there is any improvement. Give extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by