Chicken foot issue

pvchicken1

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
My Delaware chicken that is a little over a year old somehow hurt her right middle toe. I went out to collect eggs and saw that there was a little pool of blood on the pine shavings. I noticed that she was limping and standing on one foot. I will wash of her leg and determine the situation. I don’t think that it is bumble foot but it could be bumblefoot. What should I do?

Attachments

• 288FE919-916C-4BC6-A106-9D324C9D343D.jpeg
    288FE919-916C-4BC6-A106-9D324C9D343D.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 6
  • 84D45831-6DB0-4EE9-B1D2-30303BCB85D6.jpeg
    84D45831-6DB0-4EE9-B1D2-30303BCB85D6.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 4
Bumblefoot doesn't usually bleed. More likely it's some kind of injury, maybe a cut. Clean it up, see how bad it is, you can use plain neosporin, you may need to wrap the foot to keep it clean, just depends on the injury. Pictures of the toe would help.

Bumblefoot doesn't usually bleed. More likely it's some kind of injury, maybe a cut. Clean it up, see how bad it is, you can use plain neosporin, you may need to wrap the foot to keep it clean, just depends on the injury. Pictures of the toe would help.
Thank you for your help. I will send pictures later today

About a month ago, one of my girls skinned the top of one toe. There was blood in the coop. No idea how she did that, but she was standing on one foot, too. After a day or so it healed and she was fine. If your girl's injury is on the bottom it might be harder to keep it clean until it heals. Some Neosporin ointment without the pain killers should help.

About a month ago, one of my girls skinned the top of one toe. There was blood in the coop. No idea how she did that, but she was standing on one foot, too. After a day or so it healed and she was fine. If your girl's injury is on the bottom it might be harder to keep it clean until it heals. Some Neosporin ointment without the pain killers should help.
The injury is right on the tip of the toe. I cleaned off her foot and will put some neosporin on it. She is standing one one foot and will sometimes take a break and sit down.

She is all bandaged up and walking a whole lot better.

Attachments

• A320DC5F-D0AF-4FA5-AF01-4CB39B856CE0.jpeg
    A320DC5F-D0AF-4FA5-AF01-4CB39B856CE0.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 4
Glad she's feeling better. She may pull that off, sometimes you have to wrap around the foot/leg to get it to stay on. Don't wrap too tight.

Back
Top Bottom