Chicken "Football"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HomesteaderMel, Aug 15, 2011.

1. HomesteaderMel

HomesteaderMel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    SW Florida
    My son has come up with a phrase that always makes me laugh... whenever he sees the chickens fighting over a tasty morsel (they free-range all day), he says they are playing "football". One chicken picks up the bug, or whatever it might be, and the others chase her until she eats it or drops it! The game begins again when someone finds another tasty treat [​IMG]

Last week, I noticed the chickens were playing football and wanted to check out what the "ball" was this time... it turned out to be an 8" black racer snake! Yes, my Rhode Island Reds were fighting over it! I ran inside to get my kids (a typical homeschooler response) so that they could watch the game. Panini, my 7-year old's hen, finally wolfed the snake down like a noodle, and let out the most satisfied squawk [​IMG] She scored a touch-down! [​IMG]

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    My chickens have played "football" before with a snake. Isn't it SO funny???!!!!!! It was funny because my Red-Sexlink, Muffin, was running around with it, but at the same time she crushed his skull with her beak, so he died way before they scored "touch-down". LOL [​IMG]

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    chicken football is as fun as the pros!

4. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I love the term chicken football!
    My 5 girls found a baby snake the other day - it was probably only 5 inches long...but when they crowded around and pecked at it, it reared up and hissed at them, and it was enough to make them hesitate, so baby snake got away. My girls are only 8 or 9 weeks old, so I guess they are easily intimidated!

5. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My hens love to play chicken foot ball [​IMG]
    Sometimes they even throw ninja moves in there, and jump kick the hen with the bug in the head XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by