Chicken "Football"

HomesteaderMel

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
SW Florida
My son has come up with a phrase that always makes me laugh... whenever he sees the chickens fighting over a tasty morsel (they free-range all day), he says they are playing "football". One chicken picks up the bug, or whatever it might be, and the others chase her until she eats it or drops it! The game begins again when someone finds another tasty treat
smile.png

Last week, I noticed the chickens were playing football and wanted to check out what the "ball" was this time... it turned out to be an 8" black racer snake! Yes, my Rhode Island Reds were fighting over it! I ran inside to get my kids (a typical homeschooler response) so that they could watch the game. Panini, my 7-year old's hen, finally wolfed the snake down like a noodle, and let out the most satisfied squawk
wink.png
She scored a touch-down!
lol.png

My chickens have played "football" before with a snake. Isn't it SO funny???!!!!!! It was funny because my Red-Sexlink, Muffin, was running around with it, but at the same time she crushed his skull with her beak, so he died way before they scored "touch-down". LOL
roll.png

I love the term chicken football!
My 5 girls found a baby snake the other day - it was probably only 5 inches long...but when they crowded around and pecked at it, it reared up and hissed at them, and it was enough to make them hesitate, so baby snake got away. My girls are only 8 or 9 weeks old, so I guess they are easily intimidated!

My hens love to play chicken foot ball
big_smile.png

Sometimes they even throw ninja moves in there, and jump kick the hen with the bug in the head XD

Back
Top Bottom