Chicken Forage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dens Hens, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Dens Hens

Dens Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    If you had a 50'x100' area, What would you plant for your free ranging chickens to forage in? Presently I have a 50x100 strip of clover/alfalfa mix they use. I would like to add more, possibly a grain. Any suggestions? Time to think about planting here in Michigan! Thanks for any suggestions!

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You could try sprouting some wheat and or barley, the birds like the tender shoots. What you have in there is a good choice by me, but I suppose whatever you can get your hands on that is the cheapest per unit of weight, would make great fodder for your birds.

Best to you and your chickens,

RJ

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I sprout lentils for my birds (and myself, they're delicious on salads). I mostly do it for my Silkies, since they don't get to free range, but I toss a handful to everyone in the winter when there isn't much for them for forage :)

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you are asking about seeding their pasture area, a good spring grain is oats. Really any grain will do nearly as well. They will eat the green leafs on the plant and do a lot of trampling. You won't get much in the way of mature grain compared to a unpastured field crop.

5. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    It is difficult to beat alfalfa, which is both semi-perennial and productive. I love the foliage and nutrition (high protein) that cattle fava put out, equalling alfalfa at six months in two months. It is high proteins, and grows well in cool weather, by June in Michigan it makes 3ft really thick stands. But the seed is expensive. For a grain I do not know. Millet is fastest to seed, but it is strictly a summer grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by