1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken found dead in run today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuburbanSue, Nov 29, 2011.

1. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    will I ever know what happened? I was in the coop with them last night and they were all fine. Didn't notice anything different. Would it be from any disease and how do I know what to do for the other 6? I'm in shock. I have no clue what happened but if something is wrong I need to know. Any suggestions?

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Keep an eye out for strange behavior with the rest of your flock as sometimes this can be a warning something is wrong, but also the chicken in question may have had internal issues that are not a threat to the rest.

I can't even remember all the chickens that have passed suddenly over the years for no obvious reason and I just scratch my head and go on....

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Same here, unfortunately. With a bit of sniffling over the loss. In some cases, a lot of sniffling.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Keep an eye out for strange behavior with the rest of your flock as sometimes this can be a warning something is wrong, but also the chicken in question may have had internal issues that are not a threat to the rest.

I can't even remember all the chickens that have passed suddenly over the years for no obvious reason and I just scratch my head and go on....

X2

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    One day I got 5 eggs. One from each hen for the first time. The next morning one hen was still sleeping an hour after the light came on. I brought her inside and she died an hour later. Nothing I could see and she was fine the night before. I figure hatchery chicks are like puppymill dogs......... It is going to happen every now and again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by