Chicken found dead this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BiggBen, Mar 25, 2015.

1. BiggBen

BiggBen Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    So I went to clean out the coop this morning and found my Easter egger lying dead in the coop with its neck eaten out only on the front side. She was perfectly healthy yesterday, and I had even just collected her egg yesterday morning. My question is what could have killed her and only eaten the front of her neck? All other birds in my coop are fine and healthy.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What ever it was will be back! Do you have a way to fasten the chickens up so the predator can't get back in?

3. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I had to put wire on the ground under my coupe to keep foxes and coyotes out. Working on a roof for my run too.

4. BiggBen

May 4, 2014
    I have a latch on he door and a lock...but the top has a opening with 1 inch chicken wire covering it.

5. BiggBen

May 4, 2014
    Well I live in city limits so coyotes and foxes are not a problem, and the coop and run are completely covered in chicken wire.

6. BiggBen

May 4, 2014
    Is it possible that the other chickens killed it? She was low on the pecking order...

7. JennIY23

JennIY23 New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    What about a rat? A rat could easily fit through 1" wire.

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

It is difficult to discuss possible predators without knowing what region you are in. Weasel, rat, and mink could all fit through a small opening, but are not all present everywhere.

Hardware cloth with 1/2" opening should help. 1/4" will keep out more, but it is much weaker than 1/2" size.

9. BiggBen

May 4, 2014
    I live in the Pacific Northwest. Specifically port Angeles Washington.

10. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    And I am in the US cattie corner to you, in Florida...

Sorry, I can't help. No idea what you have up there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by