Chicken Found in snowstrom - UPDATE- Seems sick Read for symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boilerjoe_96, Feb 20, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    My wife found a chicken this morning onthe way to work. In the road ditch, probably 1/4 mile from nearest house. It has a poopy butt and look at the last picture. It appears to have blisters between two toes. Same place on both feet. Other than that chicken seems to be doing well. Are the blisters an issue? All my chickens have come from a hatchery anything I should do so it won't get my birds sick?(Not saying it has anything but I don't know)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Gosh he is pretty - is he friendly? seems to be ok with being held - very pretty!!!

There is a time for a quarantine, I'm not sure what the recomended time is - I'm sure someone will come along and help!

3. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    keep them apart for 30 days. That should give time for anything that is going to happen to happen.

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    He is a golden laced polish. They are very suseptible to cold weather. It looks like he has some frost bit on his feet. I would open the blisters, apply iodine on and then some neosporin. I would keep him from other birds for 2-3 weeks. It he has something it will show up with in 2 weeks. Good Find!!!

5. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    what a pretty bird. Hope he mends well:D

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

What a beautiful Standard Polish rooster!
    What a great thing to have found!

He might have frostbite on his feet. I'd just bandage and neosporin the bubbles.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I agree it looks like frost bite. I would keep him seperated from your chickens for 4-6 weeks. Be careful not to cross contaminate anything.

Take care of your chickens first then take care of this guy. Make sure your hands and shoes are clean.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    keep an eye on his droppings
    keep vent clear..could be something he ate, or stress that caused the "poopy butt".
    (change of feed and chilling will cause this also)

keep him warm and quiet
    give extra protein (chopped egg) and some vitamins/electrolytes if you have them
    no grains

watch for any other symptoms..
    wet or swollen eyes, face, wattles
    head shaking
    breath sounds

he looks too good to have been dropped off..
    maybe he got out of his pen somewhere and was chased..

a gorgeous bird..
    hope he's ok..

9. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    Update: I did my deed to try and find the owner. I stopped by the house I thought most likely to have chickens. Told them what happened(didn't mention the oddity of the type of chicken)... Their response....'You mean the crazy looking chickens??' I said those were the ones...

Anyway, they just 'appeared' down the road form them about 2 weeks ago and had been running around the woods/creek area. These people have been 30 year residents and know of no one with chickens in the area let alone 'crazy looking chickens'. Oh..'they' means 4 or 5 of these chickens(There could be 3 or 4 MORE!!!!!!)... These people said we found our self a chicken and should keep it.... So we are!!! Needlessly to say my girls are VERY happy.

So we are now on the look out for the others. I will go on a chicken hunt this weekend to see if I can find the others. poor guys left out to fend for themselves inthe winter... Hope they can dodge the coyotes and cold temps....

The one we have is doing great, and getting lots of love.

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    aww....that's a shame...
    hope you're able to find them..poor things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by