Chicken Found Layin Under Roosting Bars

Clopez07

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
I found this chicken laying in this position, below the roosting bars, this morning. I go to pick her up and she stays in this position. She is now inside. I have no idea what's wrong. She was completely fine last night

Attachments

• 20221121_065658.jpg
    20221121_065658.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221121_065658.jpg
    20221121_065658.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221121_065701.jpg
    20221121_065701.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 6
Time to give a thorough exam, check her crop to see if it is empty, or full, puffy soft or firm. How old is she and does she lay eggs? Look her vent over for any prolapse or messy feathers. Feel if she has lost weight or mass. Is she molting? Look her skin under her vent, belly, and body for mites or lice and eggs. Offer her some electrolyte water, and give her some food and cooked egg. Is she able to stand and walk? Let us know what you find. Here are pictures from your other thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-found-layin-under-roosting-bars.1555608/

Please do not confuse "laying" (to lay eggs) with "lying"(to recline or to lie down).

I want to clarify the usage of the words so I'm not misunderstood in my reply.

How old is this hen?

What is your location?

Has this hen been laying? (Eggs) If so, when was the last time? Were any eggs of poor shell quality?

Is this hen currently molting?

What does her poop look like?

Does she have a watery discharge coming from her vent?

Time to give a thorough exam, check her crop to see if it is empty, or full, puffy soft or firm. How old is she and does she lay eggs? Look her vent over for any prolapse or messy feathers. Feel if she has lost weight or mass. Is she molting? Look her skin under her vent, belly, and body for mites or lice and eggs. Offer her some electrolyte water, and give her some food and cooked egg. Is she able to stand and walk? Let us know what you find. Here are pictures from your other thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-found-layin-under-roosting-bars.1555608/
Her crop feels empty. I don't feel any hardness. She is laying and vent doesn't looked prolapse. I checked her for mites/lice and don't see any. She has water and cooked eggs but only is nibbling/sipping here and there. She is not standing or walking. No injuries to her feet

Please do not confuse "laying" (to lay eggs) with "lying"(to recline or to lie down).

How old is this hen?

What is your location?

Has this hen been laying? (Eggs) If so, when was the last time? Were any eggs of poor shell quality?

How old is this hen?

What is your location?

I apologize. She was lying down in this position. She is laying eggs. I believe she did so yesterday. Her shells are always nice and hard.

She is not currently molting. I have not seen any bloody poop in the coop or run. No discharge either.

How old is she? I would try to get her drinking some fluids, and separate her in a dog crate with food and water. Offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet feed. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have a rooster? Hopefully she might have just gotten pushed off the roost, but not hurt too badly.

Was she fine up until this morning when you discovered her? Was she free-ranging yesterday?

Your location can avoid a lot of questions. State or country is all we need.

Is the hen able to stand without tipping over? Is she able to walk all right?

Does she keep her eyes closed all the time since you found her today?

Was she fine up until this morning when you discovered her? Was she free-ranging yesterday?

Your location can avoid a lot of questions. State or country is all we need.

Is the hen able to stand without tipping over? Is she able to walk all right?

Does she keep her eyes closed all the time since you found her today?
She was fine up until this morning. They do not free range.

I am located in Coastal NOrth Carolina. USA.

She is unable to really stand. She kind of flops over.

Her eyes open occasionally. She has eaten a small amount and drank briefly.

I gave her a warm bath and blow dried her. This is the first poop she had today

Attachments

• 20221121_151126.jpg
    20221121_151126.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 8
How old is she? I would try to get her drinking some fluids, and separate her in a dog crate with food and water. Offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet feed. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have a rooster? Hopefully she might have just gotten pushed off the roost, but not hurt too badly.
She is 8 months old. I do believe she was vaccinated for Mareks.

I do not have a rooster.

She could be egg bound. Feel the vent area. Do you feel the shape of an egg there?

What is the vent doing? Can you see the egg pushing against the vent?

Is there a bad smell to the fluid she just expelled?

Back
Top Bottom