Chicken found this morning on her side with her neck twisted around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lelandrooster, Apr 2, 2012.

1. lelandrooster

lelandrooster New Egg

Mar 5, 2011
    I noticed yesterday that the runt of our 1 year old flock was walking around with her head cocked to the side. I did not think much of it as she continued to eat and drink. I walked out to check on her last night only to find that she was not roosting on the pole with the rest of the hens. I picked her up and put her on the roost. This morning when I walked out, she was on her side with her twisted upside down. When i pick her up she can only stand for a moment before she lays back down. Her legs move a little so she is not totally paralyzed, but she has little interest in food or water. I have a small back yard flock and none of my other birds are sick.She does not appear to have any other signs of injury/illness. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm sorry - I have no advice because I've never dealt with this. But google or do a search here on "wry neck" and see if that sounds like a possibility. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by